2nd Birthday

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

no answers, lots of questions

I'm pretty sure the title of this post will sum up the next 18+ years of our lives now that we're in the family way.  Here are just a few of the questions that have popped into mind lately....

- Does your hair really not dye evenly in the 1st trimester or is that a scare tactic?
- I keep hearing that diapers fit differently.  Who can tell me the "makes and models" of this?
- That "itzben" thingy looks handy.  Is it really, or does it just prey upon the insecurity of first-time parents?
- What would you consider as your must-have items?
- What do you wish you'd not wasted the money on getting?

Mark wants to take preggo pics of me on Sunday mornings as I'm rushing out the door, late for work after a hard morning and overwhelming exhaustion.  He's only been successful once.  If not for the aforementioned exhaustion, I might take the time to find the camera and upload the pic.  Better luck next time, dear reader!

12 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

I just so happened to do a post today about the necessities for us in the first few weeks. I forgot to add to that list a sling or carrier. I love the hotsling but there's lots of kinds and they are also easy to make. MUCH easier than lugging around that infant carrier thing. I don't know much about how diapers fit yet, never have dyed my hair, and never heard of itzben but I looked it up and it looked kind of handy.

Shannon West said...

that 'itzben' thing looks handy, but I never had anything like that. I did keep a notepad next to the changing table to keep track of changing, feeding, sleeping, etc.

it's amazing how things have changed in just ten years! I could definitely come up with a list of must haves, as well as a list of really don't needs. :) I know there are lots of lists, especially when you set up registries, as to recommended items. I also had a book called Baby Bargains that gave a lot of good background information.

Kayla said...

I was always told you can't dye your hair when pregnant. I say do it and see! I was able to make every diaper fit! Newborn pampers swaddlers were my fav for newborns with runny poopy! But we used cheap walmart brand after that and they were fine too.

Itzbeen looks like a waste of money. If you have an iphone (I don't) there is an ap that is very similar my friend showed me. I did write stuff down with Avery since she threw up every meal, but didn't with Zane. Don't get it until you have the baby and feel like you'd like to keep track and pen and paper doesn't work!

Must have's- baby einstein DVD's along with swing(I just got a cheap small take and go swing that folded up and it was loved by my kids) and later exersaucer (that has a flat surface for cheerios!) This is what kept me sane and gave me time to soak in the tub! A sling and not backpack type carrier which was harder to get them in and out and therefore not convenient. I prefer the small highchair that buckles onto a normal chair. It reclines and can be upright. I love how it can easily be taken into a different room or to g-mas house (even used instead of exersaucer while watching DVD's). Doesnt take up the space as a big one does and it can be used as a toddler booster seat for later on. Prefer this option WAYYYYYYY over regular highschairs. Boppy makes breastfeeding much easier so I liked mine! You do not need a changing table because I promise you will NEVER change their diaper on it! If you like saving money and your back, don't get an infant carseat (no one listens to me on this though!!) We got convertible carseats that last from newborn until now! It was much easier to just carry the baby instead of baby and heavy carseat. They always went right back to sleep after being picked up so it was never a prob. Or I'd use the sling to carry them around (I could even hang the sling on a dressing room door!) Grocery shopping, I went to places that have carts with attached carseat things (walmart,target)and just covered it with a blanket. Strollers work for infants without a carseat attached. Anyway, no one takes me up on this but if you want to know more-I'll share! I never used a diaper genie really. It took to long and got old! Just throwing in the trash was easier but that may just be me too?

I have a feeling you have stopped reading by now so I'll stop!

Tamra said...

This is great. Keep it coming, folks!

The Boyds said...

Well I am still a newer mom but I will offer what I have learned:

-First I will agree with Kayla, Walmart diapers work just as well, and the highchair that attatches to a regular chair is awesome! Layla is using it now and we LOVE it, and so does she! We also wish we would have bought the convertible carseat because we are having to buy number 2 and they get way more expensive! Also agree with diaper genies and changing tables.
-Wipe warmer is a huge waste of money
-Dr Brown bottles are great but a hassle to clean due to all the parts! Layla loves the Gerber Nuk bottles, a lot of moms agree its very close to the breast.
-Bumbo seat was a lifesaver and a must have for us!
-Layla has a Lovey, which is a little stuffed animal head with a blankie attatched and it goes everywhere with us.
-Plastic backed bibs are great for teething, clothe bibs get soaked and then their clothes end up soaked!

Thats all I can think of, just little things I have learned along the way. I am sure others will have way better advice! lol

Mary said...

1) my doctor told me not to die my hair while pregnant. something about chemicals. my doctor is also a man with gray hair. so i'm not quite sure...

2) our hospital (and most of my friends) use pampers swaddlers. therefore, we have a ton! i will let you know in a few weeks :) i've heard that huggies are hit or miss for people.

3) i was given an itzbeen and will also let you know how that goes!

and can't answer the others yet either. basically i'm no help to you! sorry tamra :)

Jill said...

i don't know what itzben is...but if it's something that organizes feeding times, methodist gives you a paper where you can circle each feeding time/diaper change/ etc. i'll bet most hospitals have something they can give you.
i did not have a sling with scarlett but i loved it with clark. kept germy hands off of him, plus was easier than the big carrier (especially after having a c-section)
we loved the bouncy seat with scarlett, but clark liked the swing better...each kid is different in that regard so it's hard to know what will work.
and i ALWAYS had my hair colored...worked every time.

Mandy said...

I colored my hair the whole time with both pregnancies and they turned out fine. And so did my hair.

Unknown said...

Dude where do I begin- we should lunch- I have lots of fun opinions and it is great to take someone with you to register so they can say- don't waste your time or ooh yeah that is awesome! Pick some one who has kids and go for it! Of course I am available to help, but I also know there are lots of others who would as well (wink wink). My other piece of advice- get it all it is all fun and useable : ) (oh wait- I have had every carrier known to mankind- really and the MeiTei is by far by far by far my favorite favorite favorite!!!!!!

Lindsay said...

Hi Tamra, lots of good questions and answers!!

I used my baby bjorn all the time with both kids, it was great for walks and shopping but also for cleaning house and things when they just didn't want to be put down...but once they get around that 6 month mark they can get a little heavy in it...check around and see who has stuff you can borrow if you don't want to buy a whole lot...we have a ton of baby stuff and you're more than welcome to use it if you want (we just might need it back some time next year hopefully!!).

We got a feeding chart from the hospital as well and to be honest, I didn't really use it that much.

I didn't dye my hair with either so I can't help you there...and I agree that you don't really need a diaper genie. We just throw wet diapers in the trash and we have a little garbage can in the garage that we stick the dirty diapers in, diaper genies can be a pain to empty!!

Timothy loved the bouncer and Charlotte loved the swing so it just depends on the baby...and I used my boppy all the time, they're even great to take on airplanes if you have to fly when they're really little. And we use our pack n play a lot, when we travel, when I need to put Charlotte down and keep her in one place, we even took it to Schlitterbahn! And we used the exersaucer a lot too, but again, that's something you're more than welcome to borrow if you want!!

myra said...

I haven't heard of the "itzben" thing either. You'll have to fill me in. My must-haves for Morgandy were the sling (got mine from slinglings.com - not too expensive and they have lots and lots of patterns and it got to me really fast). Also I have white noise machine that I still use, I know they say to let you kid get used to noises so they can sleep through it but lets face it there is only so much noise one person can make.
As for diapers we used Swaddlers and than switched to Luv's but had to go back to Pamper's because Morgandy had such sensitive skin and would break out in a rash with the generic kind. I do hear good things about the Costco brand and have used them some as she's gotten older. I was fortunate enough to inherit a bouncy seat and a swing and would borrow one if I didn't have one until I knew that my child really liked it.
I hear you on the belly pic. Patrick's not into taking them for me and I'm never in the right clothes or have my hair done or make up on when I think about it.
I do regret not having any belly pics with Morgandy. My goal is to take at least 1 with this baby.

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Okay, located your blog. I hope it is okay that I have added your to my blog roll. Also, in needing a prego picture, you should think about copying the one I showed you with the dead turkey.