2nd Birthday

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 17, 2005

The "Blind" Lady

Preface: I do have a picture of the lady I'm about to describe, but I decided against posting it in case she is a friend of any of you. I'd hate to be held libel for defamation of character or something. So just imagine if you will a woman approximately 6 feet tall weighing 400 pounds with a series of very bad blonde wigs.

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **

I'd like to start by saying that this woman was aboard our cruise and claimed to be completely blind. In the week we spent with her, it became increasingly apparent that this woman was not, in fact, completely blind. There's no way she could have been.

Here, I present the Top 10 Reasons I Know This Woman Was Not Really Completely Blind:

10. She claims the cruiseline broke her "blind stick" when it went through baggage. Don't you think if she were really completely blind, she would've taken it aboard with her from the get-go and not packed it separately to send through baggage check?

9. She wore makeup that -- although tacky -- was perfectly applied.

8. I just wonder why a completely blind woman would go on a cruise by herself. It seems unlikely.

7. She had a video camera and always seemed to know when she could see our boat in the harbor from our position on the bus in Grand Cayman in order to video it. She started taping when it was visible and stopped taping when it wasn't.

6. She gave Marilee and I dirty looks every time we were near her. I think she knew we were onto her scheme.

5. She was watching the movement of the stingrays in the ocean and yelling out to people 15 feet away from her that a male stingray was headed toward them. How did she distinguish the male from female without being able to see? How did she know in the choppy water that a stingray was headed in a zig-zaggy pattern toward people so far away from her?

4. For that matter, why would a completely blind woman choose to go alone on a stingray swim and snorkel excursion?

3. She managed to walk around the photo display area with ease without any assistance, marched right up to a sign, pulled it out of the slatboard holder, and proceeded to ask what it said.

2. She also knew that she was missing a picture -- the one of her posing in a red dress in front of a boat backdrop. Without the aid of sight, I wonder how she knew the picture with the boat and red dress weren't among the ones she'd already miraculously found along the display racks.

1. She could always find the most affluent-looking or attractive people to cling to for help. You see, her ability to function varied depending on the people she was around.

There are plenty other examples, but I think you get the point. I'm just saying...this woman wasn't completely blind. And it really is sad that she would feign such an impairment for attention, unecessary help, etc. I kind of wonder if she was running some kind of theivery scam. If she winds up on America's Most Wanted, I won't be surprised.

9 comments:

Suzy said...

Sounds like a great cruise! I agree with Lindsy that I want to see a picture as well.

Lynn Valdez said...

This is the most hilarious post I have ever seen!!!!! Thanks for a good laugh. Love you

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling this post was not your own idea, but the work of a brilliant comedian.

Stacey said...

Good thing I wasn't with you. I would have been way too tempted to mess with her and expose her for the fraud that she is!!! =) This is hilarious by the way!

Anonymous said...

well i'm telling y'all -- it was funnier to witness it in person. this lady was a total nut job (and yes, that is the clinical term)!

Jenny said...

Tamra,
Blogs are a crazy way to reconnect, huh? I love that about them! I'll e-mail you soon and we'll definately get some lunch. I hear great things about all you are doing the with kiddos at Mac.
Jenny
P.S. This post was absolutely hilarious!

Monica said...

How fun that you went on a cruise! I’m guessing it was a Western Caribbean cruise out of Galveston??? Just a guess from my travel agent gut:)

I have a theory about the 'blind' lady... my sister-in-law is 'legally' blind although she can still see with extremely thick glasses. I know that she has more trouble seeing things close-up than far away. She can't drive, but besides that she seems to go about life being pretty normal. I have no idea if this could be the case & it sounds like she wasn't a very nice lady regardless of her handicap, but it's just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Monica!

Yes, I think the lady very easily could've been partially blind. My biggest issue comes from the fact that she continually told people she was completely blind and couldn't see a thing when that very clearly was not the case. I just don't get people.

And yes, it was a Western Caribbean cruise out of Galveston. You are good!!!

Marilee said...

Tams, you forgot to tell everyone how you moved the blind lady's pictures on the picture board so that her little friend couldn't find them when they came back to purchase!