2nd Birthday

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Is there truth to the tale?

There's been a lot of talk and speculation surrounding whether or not we have Baby Boy or Baby Girl on the way.  We've got less than two weeks till we find out, provided he or she is feeling cooperative.  (Here's hoping!)

There are so many old wives' tales about how to tell if it's a boy or girl.  The one I am most familiar with is the heart rate.  I asked the doc today when she checked, and she said "it's 154 -- but that doesn't mean anything!"  We'll see...

Did the heart rate thing hold true for you?  What other tricks did you try?

Update:
Myra suggested I take some quizzes, so I've busied myself with that task.  Here are the results...
- 58% it's a girl according to Just Mommies
- 63% chance of a girl according to Childbirth
- it was a toss up at Parents
- the ancient Chinese birth chart says boy
- 53% it's a girl at Baby Gender Prediction

10 comments:

Mary said...

ok tamra, here are my thoughts.

jake's HR stayed in the 140's-150's and we had a boy (obviously).

but i have another theory. and i've been right 4 out of 4 times so far with friends (maybe i shouldn't advertise this in case i'm wrong about you). i craved MEAT and fruit...my friends that have girls craved baked goods, cakes, etc. i'm just saying.. :)

both are fun!!

myra said...

My Dr's nurse predicted "girl" when I was pregnant with Morgandy based on her heart rate (I don't remember what it was). Everyone else seemed to think I was having a girl too.

With this baby I did that Chinese Gender predictor test on thebump.com and it predicted boy. And I remember hearing that with boys your leg hair grows faster and I felt like I could have shaved my legs twice a day for a few weeks there.

I think you should take one of those old wives tale tests and post your answers and result on the blog. I don't put a lot of faith in them but think they are fun!

Ryan and Katie said...

I tried them all and some said girl and some said boy but the majority out of all the tests was girl.

Kayla said...

I don't remember there exact heart rates but I remember Avery's was in fact faster by quite a bit. Once I started actually eating real foods, with Avery I craved Mcdonalds and Zane Taco bell and starbucks...both I ate icecream all the time. Can't wait to find out!

Lindsay said...

They were pretty much all true for me with both of mine...but I tried not to pay attention. I even had my dentist say that he could predict what Timothy was going to be by looking at my teeth...and he was right, that was scary!

Tamra said...

In the beginning, I was on a serious kick of chocolate pudding cups and fruit cups. Now I'm more into fried chicken and bacon/egg/cheese breakfast sandwiches and ice cream. Basically, all the really nutritious stuff. Sorry, kid! At least I start out each day with a glass of OJ and take my prenatals.

Jill said...

the heartrate worked for me both times but i've heard it is more accurate the later you are in pregnancy. both of mine started out over 150 and scarlett's stayed around 160 even in labor...clark's slowed to around 130-140 later in the pregnancy and at the hospital. and i think the chinese predictors were right both times, but i can't remember for sure.

Jaime said...

I will give you my opinion in a couple of weeks after I know what this one is.
:-) I just took some of the same quizzes though and my chinese chart was boy, but everything else was girl.

myra said...

Thanks for taking those quizzes! Can't wait to find out what the "real" result is!

Jennifer Schroeder said...

I'm predicting it will be a baby, and I have NEVER been wrong.