2nd Birthday

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 09, 2011

all about the previa

For anyone who might not have heard, I'm pregnant!

When Mark and I were making our family plan years ago, we decided we wanted to be married for two years before having a baby "on the ground" and that we wanted two kids and that we'd like them to be about two years apart.  Our sweet Marin was born less than a month after our second anniversary.  And we decided that we'd just stick with the same routine in trying to conceive again -- start in May and get what we get. 

Amazingly and surprisingly, we became pregnant immediately!  A few weeks in, I began spotting and called my OB's office.  The triage nurse worked in me to see the OB that same day.  It was a tough appointment, not being able to see anything conclusive on the ultrasound.  This wasn't necessarily bad as it was still early, but this didn't alleviate any fears.  I gave some blood and went back a few days later for another round of blood work so they could compare my hormone levels.  The news came back a few days later that my levels had not doubled as expected.  While they'd increased some, the nurse still prepared me for the likelihood of losing the baby.  We went in to see the OB again.  And God surprised us again -- this time, with a very alive baby with a strong heartbeat.  What a rollercoaster of emotion!

But spotting continued intermittently and then the real bleeding came.  We had another appointment on July 1st and another ultrasound.  We were so grateful to see our wee little bean hanging out in there, showing off his or her beautiful heartbeat.  And we learned that I have placenta previa. 

For those not interested in scouring the all-knowing internet, placenta previa is a condition that occurs in about 1 in 200 pregnancies.  Rather than the placenta attaching higher up the uterine wall, the placenta is low-lying to the point that it covers all or part of the cervix.  Most cases of placenta previa clear up naturally during pregnancy.  For those women who still have previa when full-term, a c-section delivery is performed.

For now, the OB says to reduce my activity -- particularly lifting -- and increase my fluids in an effort to reduce or minimize bleeding episodes.  Mark has been a wonderful husband and daddy, taking on extra duties that I normally do or share.  And it is a blessing to have so many wonderful folks offer to help us however we might need.  When we learn more what is it we do need, we're sure to take you up on your kindness.

Baby #2 is due February 4th!

7 comments:

Kayla said...

So crazy but I just had a dream about you the other day that your were preggo again and I was thinking...welp, it wouldn't surprise me!!

Tabs said...

TAMRA!!! Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you guys! And so much fun that our babies are going to be days apart. What a great month February is. :)

Tabs said...

And we will be praying for you guys!

Ryan and Katie said...

hurray! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and will be praying the previa clears up on its own.

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Woohoo on the post update!

Kristin and Chance said...

AWWW!! Congrats, Tamra! So glad everything is going well. Praying things continue to improve.

April said...

Congratulations!! I will be praying for a safe and healthy pregnancy!! Love you!