2nd Birthday

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

the better part

In our ladies Bible class, we’ve begun a series based on Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver. Have you read it? After getting a mere 5 pages in, I already am convicted of a few things about my life.

Luke 10 dedicates a scant five verses to the story of Jesus coming to Martha’s house where she was frantically working on preparations while her sister Mary simply sat at Jesus’ feet.

Martha was frustrated by her sister’s seeming laziness, so she marched herself right up to Jesus and tattled. She expected Jesus to chastise Mary and make her help with the work. But in a surprise move, Jesus told Martha that Mary had chosen the better part and it would not be taken away from her.

I can just imagine Martha standing there with her jaw to the floor, wondering how on earth Jesus could let Mary get away with not helping. How many times have I wondered why someone got off easy while I had to put in the hard work? How many times have I been so focused on the preparation that I missed out on the fun? And how many times have I run to God, telling on so-and-so for doing such-and-such when I felt so sure I was right and he or she was wrong?

There’s a lesson to be learned in that. But I think if you dig a little further, there might be an even more important lesson waiting to be found.

Jesus’ words are important. He told Martha that Mary had chosen the better part. There was a choice, and it was open to both sisters. Martha and Mary had the same choice to make and Mary chose the better part. Speculation says Mary’s personality was more suited for natural worship, but she still went against the cultural norms by sitting among the men to hear Jesus. Martha had the choice to stop was she was doing in order to absorb the words and wisdom of the Messiah, but she deemed the preparations more important.

And that’s the message I challenge you to take from this story. We have a choice. Sometimes it comes easily to make the choice for the better part. For some, it may be a natural fit. But so many times, at least for me, making the choice for the better part is easier said that done. It may mean that we have to give up what comes naturally to us, or makes us happy or gives an air of importance. Whether it's to follow our nature or not, we have the choice just the same.

Where are you being a Martha in your life? What do you need to change in order to be a Mary? How can you choose the better part? These are the questions on my mind. Maybe they'll help you or maybe you'll come up with some of your own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Tams! a couple things: 1) i miss you and we need a phone date soon! 2) I LOVE this book!! I can't say enough good things about it. I read a couple paragraphs out of it for our Mary and Martha day on the Mission Trip. She really put that story in a different perspective than I have ever heard and 3) do you think I could get the instructions to trash can tag. I hear its a favorite ;)

hope you are doing well! I miss you like crazy! I'd love to hear what you've been up to lately!

myra said...

Welcome Back Tams! Great post. I need to read that book, I've heard so many good things about it. And I feel you on being Martha. It seems like it would be so obvious which is the better choice but sometimes we get confused.

Anonymous said...

I didn't think CoC women were supposed to preach, but yours was quite a sermon. You'll have to keep sharing insights from this book that are universal, as it sounds geared more toward women even though what you shared applies to all. Keep the goodness outflowing...